The eighteenth-century plan of north-west expansion, conducted by Juvarra, elevates the city to the rank of European capitals.
The project for the north-west part of the new capital was entrusted to Filippo Juvarra in 1714 and was implemented throughout the 18th century. It completes the Baroque city according to a unitary design developed along the main axes of the expansion and redevelopment of the medieval fabric of the old square city: Via di Porta Palazzo, Via del Carmine and Via del Senato and Via Dora Grossa (today’s Via Milano, Via del Carmine and Corte d'Appello, Via Garibaldi) and finally the ancient Piazza delle Erbe (now Piazza and Via Palazzo di Città). These main axes ideally meet in front of the City Palace (the current Town Hall) to reach the center of sovereign power: Piazza Castello.
Information curated by:
Maria Pia Valetto, milli paglieri, Staff Landscapefor (2018-2024)