A wash-house in the plastic gardens

The pediment of a strange neoclassical temple lies forgotten under the walls. It belongs to the wash-houses built by Carlo Barabino in 1797, next to the S. Maria dei Servi church in via Madre di Dio and rebuilt here following the demolition of the entire neighborhood. It was an urban infrastructure, a public service pursued by Barabino' s Enlightenment vision, starting from the rational design of the urban expansions towards the mountain, up to the design of arcades and wash-houses like this one.

In the photo (from Mae Zena) the wash-houses placed under the walls, in the "delle Mura" park, commonly known as "the plastic gardens", on the edge of the business center.

Events calendar:
Centri urbani

Share on:
short URL:

License