The red chamber

It is the hall of the Town Council, built in 1758 on the south side of the building. From the outset, it was ceiling-mounted in wood, equipped with benches, embellished with gilding and other ornaments and upholstered with the crimson velvet, which gives it its name. From 1848 it became the permanent seat of the City Council. Voting rights were initially reserved for a small minority of citizens; only in 1946 there was the universal suffrage, with the involvement of the female electorate as well. Between 1880 and 1882 the hall underwent its last changes, with the construction of the grandstand, to allow the public to attend the sessions. Behind the seat of the President of the City Council, the portrait of Carlo Alberto, the king of the Statute.

The seat of the Council in the red chamber

Share on:
short URL:

License