The old Arsenal

In the area where there is the Palace of the Arsenal, in 1659 a foundry was built on the Carlo Morello’s project and on initiative of Duke Carlo Emanuele II to substitute the previous one that leans against the buildings on Castle Square in front of the Royal Palace. The principle entry of 1677 was a work of Castellamonte. At the beginnings the buildings were in the middle east of the area and it had two lateral parts to whom a lot of canopies was added with the function of shops. The west side of the area housed the gunners headquarter and the property of the Dukes from Angennes and Monsù Tevenot. In 1692 du to the accidents from explosions and fires, a warehouse of ammunitions and a bombs laboratory were built outside the area.

The design shows the Arsenal building, before juvarra's works

Share on:
short URL: