The final project

The first unite of the station appears in 1861, right after the unification of Italy, through the work of the engineer Alessandro Mazzucchetti and his pupil Carlo Ceppi. The central section is realized with an iron and glass vaulted ceiling. The complex is completed in 1868. The ceiling is removed in 1941 in order to obtain some iron for military purposes. After the war, the railway establishment is moved back over the edge of the ancient ceiling. New services are provided between 1948 and 1953 in the obtained space following the increase in the passengers flow.

Share on:
short URL: