The monuments

Three monuments commemorating the glorious acts of the war are located in Piazza Castello. In front of Palazzo Madama, the monument to the Flag-bearer of the Sardinian Army (Vincenzo Vela, 1857-59), given by Milan to Piedmont after the Second War of Independence. On the right side of the square, the equestrian monument to the Knights of Italy (Pietro Canonica, 1923). On the east side, the third monument, made of marble and bronze, is a piece of work created in 1937 by Eugenio Baroni and dedicated to Emanuele Filiberto, Duke of Aosta, and to the army returning from World War One.

The Sardinian Flag-bearer by Vincenzo Vela.

Share on:
short URL:

License