Carlo from Castellamonte

Caged in a building envelope, after the church was stripped of lead cover in 1802, the profile of the dome is now altered. Died Vitozzi in 1615, the completion of the work was led by the architect Carlo di Castellamonte (1560-1640), whose design for the high altar, built between 1634 and 1637, soon served as an example for other churches in Turin. The canvas with the Assumption of Orazio Gentileschi dates back to 1605-1608, used to veil the statue of the Virgin on the main altar; the canvas is now preserved at Palazzo Madama.

The dome seen from the inside

Share on:
short URL: