The Royal Gardens lied above and below the Royal Palace, surrounded by walls. After the demolition of the fortifications and the Napoleonic projects for the tree-lined avenues of the early nineteenth century, many projects were developed for the creation of large gardens between the old walls and the Dora river, which were never built. In 1864, a portion of the lower gardens was used for the creation of the Royal Zoological Garden wanted by Vittorio Emanuele II. In the twentieth century, more changes were made to turn the lower gardens into a public park. Inside the gardens, the building that once was used as the Royal Greenhouse, or as an Orangerie, is today the Archaeological Museum.