The Castle became Palace

Around 1640, the Castle became a palace for the rulers. Cristina di Francia closed the court, which became the Sala del Voltone, and built over it a large central hall and apartments for her residence. The role of castle is over and the second life of the complex begins: it became Palazzo Madama (see dedicated POI).

Detail from the Theatrum Sabaudiae in the version of the renovated castle that opens towards the widening of via Po, to the left, with the Roman walls transformed into porches.

Share on:
short URL:

License